IN WHICH LIFE HAPPENS

Blueberry Ginger Coconut Smoothie
Almost four months ago now, I laid awake in the gentle morning light and stirred for an impossibly long time in bed. My thoughts whipped around like a wind-blown bag. I waited for Allan to wake up so that I could finally put my thoughts to rest. At least for a few moments.

From the tiny en-suite bathroom attached to the bedroom at our old house, I poked my head out. Allan sat in wait in bed, as anxious as I was. I stared at him right in the eyes, and I knew he knew what I was about to say.

“….I think I’m fucking pregnant”. Those five words changed everything. We stared at each other, not really knowing what to say. Certainly we hadn’t planned it, but we also hadn’t been putting much effort into not getting pregnant, either. We wanted kids and we wanted a life together, though we’d never planned on when. We left the rest to fate, and fate found us easily. We’ve never been good at hiding.

Blueberry Ginger Coconut Smoothie

We had plans to visit our friends at a beer market, of all the places, on that day. Oh, the temptation. Life sure is a funny little jerk. We didn’t want to tell anyone, fearing the worst might happen or that we might jinx this twist of fate, but seeing our dearest, closest, could-be-family-in-another-life friends made it impossible. The cat came out of the bag almost as effortlessly as we’d got ourselves into this situation in the first place. There were tears (maybe an emotional breakdown of sorts from my best friend, who has never wanted anything but for us to have a little wee one), hugs, and celebrations all around. We beamed at the thought of our new life and the support from our dearest friends. But at the end of the day, when we were left with each other in the silence and thought of what was about to happen, it sunk in. And it was scary.

Blueberry Ginger Coconut Smoothie

People ask you a lot of questions when they find out you’re pregnant. Questions it’s hard to know the answer to while you’re trying to absorb the fact that your whole life is about to change. The most common question is “Are you sure you’re ready for that?”. Ummmmm no??!?! Is there any possible way to be prepared for a baby? I can imagine not. Even parents who have planned their pregnancy for years aren’t ready for what’s to come. How can you possibly be ready physically? Emotionally? Mentally? You can’t. Or I can’t. But this isn’t to say I’m not so excited I can feel it tingling in my bones. I just don’t know how to be ready for something so massive. So completely overwhelmingly life-changingly massive. We have no idea how to be ready. So to answer all your questions, no, we probably aren’t ready and we probably won’t be ready until that baby pops out and we have no choice but to get ready. Life happens, and we’re prepared to take it on with a smile on our faces (probably with some barf on our faces, too).

I’ve been feeling fairly well, aside from a bout of bronchitis that seemed to last for a month. No nausea – at all! I feel like I won the lottery there. A few mild headaches and some exhaustion, but generally I feel well. I contribute that to the fact that my only cravings have been for extremely healthy things. Cold, fruity smoothies, healthy cereals with really cold milk, clementines, ginger beer, komboucha…. lots of gut-friendly things. Like this smoothie! I have literally survived on this smoothie for three months. It’s all I think about all day long. When I wake up, I can taste it. Nothing can get done until I’ve sat quietly and sipped it until every last spicy, blueberry-ie drop is gone. And then the day, with my permission, may begin. I know this silent morning routine is fleeting so I’m trying to really soak them in while I can.

Blueberry Ginger Coconut SmoothieLife sure is a ride. I should also mention that we moved a few weeks after I found out and in our first night in the new house, Allan proposed. So along with a baby, we’re getting hitched! And couldn’t be happier or more excited for what’s to come and how our lives are about to change. We’re feeling thankful and lucky and anxious to meet the little bugger that shook things up so much.

Blueberry Ginger Coconut Smoothie

Blueberry Ginger Coconut Smoothie
makes enough for 2 or 1 large pregnancy-sized portion

1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
1 ripe banana
1 tbsp raw honey
1 – 2″ raw ginger (depending on on spicy you like it), minced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional but wonderful when sick
1 cup Full-Fat coconut yogurt (Greek, if you can find it)
2 tbsp wheat bran, optional
2 tbsp toasted coconut flakes
1/2 cup packed spinach leaves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed is the tastiest)
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (or regular milk)

Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender and process until smooth.

21 Responses

1. Kris says:

I’m am so incredibly happy for you! I can’t wait to see you as a mom and a wife. You’re going to rock it! Much love from over this way! xo

2. OMG that’s incredible!! So excited for you guys!! You will be an AMAZING mother and wife 😀 ps. this smoothie looks fantastic!

3. Kate says:

this is so sweet. My son just turned 9 months old and I remember feeling the same way. All I can say is it’s better than you ever imagined!!! Try not to worry (also, no raw honey! Pasteurized only in pregnancy girl!)

• kbrissonadmin says:

Thanks Kate! (and yes, I break some of the rules. It’s all new to me but I’ve had a healthy pregnancy despite it). Glad to hear it’s even better than I can imagine, <3

4. Ahhhh! I love this post and am completely with you on feeling excited but not at all prepared in the way that people expect you to say you’re prepared. (How can one possibly prepare? You can’t. You just get stoked and roll with the punches! Or, rather, the kicks that you’ll soon be feeling – ha.) Congrats on both the impending arrival AND the engagement AND somehow managing your first trimester with such health and grace. (All I wanted were bland carbs, boo…) What a 2015 it will be!! <3

5. What a beautifully written post. I love the grace and joy with which you’ve both embraced life’s suprises… congrats, and (though i’m a relatively new reader) i’m already so excited for you!

6. Kristen says:

Eeeeeeeeeeeee. I know I don’t REALLY know you – but through this blog, twitter, instagram, etc. I feel like I do (in a non-creeper way) – and am SO excited for you. Congratulations! :)

7. I don’t know you personally, but I am so excited for you! What a beautiful post :) My husband and I are still in the “not really trying,” but “not, not trying.” phase. It’s good :)
    All the best in 2015!

8. allyson says:

Kelly – such awesome news! So excited for you, congrats. :)

9. Gaby says:

So so exciting!! Congrats on the engagement and the baby!!

10. Gene says:

I am nearing the end of what has been a really wretched pregnancy and the only resource that I can credit for getting me through with sanity in tact is the advice received from the Motherisk website and hotline. Its through SickKids in Toronto and if you have any questions or concerns about anything to do with pregnancy (and breastfeeding later) contact them, they know everything about it. It is a resource that doctors and pharmacists consult regularly too and they know things those folks don’t. Congratulations.

11. […] met kiwi, banaan & mango 2 – Limoen ricotta pannenkoeken met bramen siroop 3 – Blauwe bessen, gember & kokos smoothie 4 – Pannenkoeken met amandel en blauwe bessen 5 – Brood met avocado en ei 6 – […]

12. […] West Elm. 2. Daily Dream Decor. 3. The Gouda Life. 4. The Zhush. 5. Apartment Therapy. 6. Rose and Grey. 7. Kartell. 8. Justina […]

13. Dawn says:

Loved this smoothie thanks for the recipe found you on Pinterest xx

14. Joanne says:

Congratulations, wishing you all the best :)
    Regarding the recipe, it looks amazing but I don’t have yogurt because I am lactose intolerant. Do you think I can use coconut goodness as a replacement http://www.tiana-coconut.com/ I normally use this to do coconut cream. Thanks

• kbrissonadmin says:

Hi Joanne,

Thank you! I think the coconut goodness should work just fine as a substitute. Let me know how it turns out :)

15. […] Kick off your brunch to a great start with this blueberry coconut ginger smoothie from The Gouda Life. Jam packed with fruit and nutrients, this smoothie will take your mind off of all the pancakes/bacon/french toast you’ll ingest as your brunch progresses. Recipe here. […]