Many Industry leaders believe that vaping is much safer than smoking cigarettes. Although this is somewhat true, it is not 10% safer for your lungs. It is still responsible for delivering synthetic chemicals that can cause adverse side effects after some time.
Suppose you cannot give up vaping despite the potential negative side effects. In that case, you must make sure that you eat the best type of food that will help maintain your lung health. To know what exactly these foods are, continue reading this article.
Effects of Vaping
Before anything else, it’s important to understand what vaping does to your lungs.
Vaping fluids consist primarily of basic substances; water, nicotine, flavorings, and glycerol. While these substances are approved, the wild is placed on the flavorings. Some flavors contain diacetyl which has been linked to obliterative bronchiolitis. The fatty acids(glycerol) may cause lipoid pneumonia. The nicotine contained in vaping fluid may not be carcinogenic, but it is highly addictive, causing much more danger.
Over time, the substances we inhale during vaping may impair the clearance of mucus from the lungs. This poses a health risk to the lungs by increasing the chances of infection or injury.
It may appear like a long shot, but the right foods can help restore the health of the lungs after prolonged vaping. These foods can also help to prevent damage to the lungs mentioned above. Let us take a tour of these foods.
What Foods to Eat for Healthier Lungs
Here are the foods that will help maintain your lung health:
Increase Alkaline Foods Intake
Alkaline foods help reduce the blood’s acidity levels, which, if left unchecked, could cause damage to the lungs and kidneys. Foods that are rich in alkaline include:
- Vegetables– Consider leafy greens and root vegetables in your diet.
- Fruits– Fruits that are rich in alkaline are bananas, apples, melons, among others.
- Spices– Spices such as cinnamon, curry, and ginger, are rich in alkaline.
- Proteins– Healthy proteins that are found in nuts such as almonds and chestnuts.
Add Chlorophyll to Your Diet
Chlorophyll helps to increase oxygen levels in the blood. It also helps to cleanse the blood and body tissues, including those of the lungs. Chlorophyll can be found in the following foods:
- Juiced Wheatgrass– You can find this in many smoothie shops.
- Sprouted Seeds– The process of sprouting seeds unlocks the following nutrients; folate, magnesium, and even protein.
- Spirulina- This blue-green algae that are commonly added to smoothies are very nutritious. It boosts metabolism and acts as an anti-toxin.
Take Foods that are Rich in Antioxidants
These will help counter the free radicals, however in small amounts, that are inhaled during vaping. Antioxidants are present in many tasty foods such as:
- Berries- Blueberries and blackberries are rich in antioxidants.
- Bulbed Vegetables– Onions, garlic, and leek intake on your diet.
Eating the food that is good for your lungs will not provide you with the assurance that you will not have a negative side effect from vaping. However, it does mitigate the risk so you should consider incorporating them on your diet.